SELFIES, SEXTS AND SMARTPHONES: PARENTING THE SCREENAGER
A public talk by leading social media lawyer, speaker and author, Emma Sadleir.
Drawing on her experience consulting with hundreds of school students and parents across South Africa, Emma will discuss topics such as:
- Popular apps and games – major concerns in the current social media climate
- Cyberbullying – how to detect it, how to respond, what the law says
- The sexting epidemic – it’s not just ministers, nudes are a ‘social currency’!
- Instagram and the popularity contest – How do we get children to understand that being popular on Instagram is like being rich in monopoly
- Age restrictions and recommendations
- Can you be held responsible for what your child is up to on their phones?
- Parent WhatsApp groups – how to survive them and how not to get your child expelled
- Sharenting – do we overshare when it comes to our children?
- The effects of early exposure to pornography and what we’re seeing at schools
- How to respond to self-harm and suicide – international legal developments
- Legal consequences of using social media including defamation, privacy, hate speech, crimen injuria and sexual offences
- Age of capacity – at what age can your child be sued, arrested and criminally charged
- The big business of social media and data – how it all works
- Catfishing – on the Internet, no one knows you’re a dog
- Online safety and practising good digital citizenship
- Online reputation management and the tattoo effect of the internet
- Privacy in the digital age – does privacy still exist?
- Screen time and its effects on the developing brain
- Addiction and the psychological impact of using social media
- How the law is keeping up with technological developments in SA – the Cybercrimes Bill, the Hate Speech Bill, and the Films and Publications Amendment Bill
- Practical tips for managing your children and their devices
TALK DATES AND INFORMATION
- Durban – Tues 5th March, Crawford College, La Lucia. To book, click here.
- Cape Town– Wed 3rd April, Bergvliet High School. To book, click here.
- Johannesburg – Tues 9th April, Kingsmead College, Rosebank. To book, click here.
- Bloemfontein – Tues 16th April, Oranje Meisieskool, Free State. To book, click here.
- R180 per adult
- R140 for children over 12
Emma’s book Selfies Sexts and Smartphones: A Teenager’s Online Survival Guide will be on sale for R200 a copy